To be effective in your work and enjoy what you are doing, it is important to create positive relationships with those around you. Everyone wants to feel understood, nurtured, and supported, and it’s important we each take responsibility for doing our bit. In this blog, we share eight proven tips for creating positive relationships in your workplace.
1. Be yourself - It is hard to create positive relationships by pretending to be something you are not, so try and be natural and always aim to be your best self.
2. Treat people equally - Everyone at work has different roles but we’re all human. Be respectful but treat everyone as a peer: try not to think of yourself as ‘lower’ or ‘higher’ than anyone else.
3. Stay out of politics - Make it a practice to stay out of any workplace politics wherever you can. It will save you getting caught up in negativity, misunderstandings and gossip.
4. Be friendly - Being pleasant to be around makes everyone’s life easier, whatever job you are in. It’s important to be aware of your own moods and learn how to manage your stress effectively. Check out our blog on Managing Your Mood for some tips.
5. Be thoughtful - Everyone likes to be appreciated. Someone who checks in with another staff member who seems quieter than usual is being thoughtful. A leader who recognises an employee’s contribution is being thoughtful. A bit of thoughtfulness shows the people around you that you genuinely care about them.
6. Be self-aware - Knowing your strengths and weaknesses will help you to be aware of the impact you have on those around you. Think about how you behave and how it affects the people around you.
7. Enjoy your work - It is much easier to be positive when you are enjoying the work you are doing. Obviously nothing is fun all the time, but if you focus on making the best of your job it will help you feel positive and in turn foster positive relationships.
8. Add value - You can be the friendliest and happiest person in the work place, but if you are not getting your job done, someone else will have to pick up the slack! Think of ways in which you can help your organisation and your co-workers. We can all make a difference!
Raise has an excellent team of fully qualified practitioners who can provide your workplace with training, support and counselling services. Give us a call to have a chat about the ways in which we can work with your team – 0800 SELF HELP 0800 735 343.